Niagara County Youth Bureau Seeking Governor's Youth Council Representative
The Niagara County Youth Bureau is seeking a new representative for the New York State Governor’s Youth Council. The Youth Council is to be made up of one young person age 13-21 from each of New York State’s 62 counties. Members are chosen through an online selection process.
In 2021, Niagara County was represented on the council by Cameron Kiner of Barker. Cameron will be graduating in June from Barker High School. Beyond the Youth Council, Cameron has been very active in his community and school, including serving as Vice President of the Student Council and as a mentor in the school’s M & M Program.
The Youth Council provides an effective way to engage youth in state government and creates a platform for their voices to be heard by policymakers. Members of the NYS Governor’s Youth Council offer their solutions to key issues facing young people in NYS. Youth voice is recognized through this initiative; if you would like your voice heard apply today.
Those interested should understand the great opportunity offered upon selection and commit to the following if appointed to the NYS Governor’s Youth Council:
• Participate in virtual statewide youth led networking and training events about government, civic engagement and positive youth development.
• Attend regional meetings via online platforms
• Work on selecting policy issues to inform local, regional and/or state changes
• Seek out, listen and respect others’ opinions and experiences
• Maintain your membership until March 30, 2023
For more information or to apply online visit: https://nysylc.secure-platform.com/a