Housing and Homeless Services

Resource Center

  COVID-19 Eviction Info

  COVID-19 Rent and Utilities Assistance

  Emergency Rental Assistance Program

  NYS Homes and Community Renewal FAQ

The housing offices of the Niagara County DSS are located at 301 10th Street NF and 20 East Ave Lkpt. The offices may be able to work with homeless or potentially homeless families, singles and childless couples in the county. The process begins with an assessment to determine the circumstances causing the need for housing assistance.

What Services are Provided?

Placement - the offices work closely with local missions to temporarily place eligible homeless individuals or families while they seek permanent housing.

Case Management Services – The offices refer households to local not for profit agencies and other agencies that provide case management services that may assist those who are homeless or potentially homeless. Referrals are also made to in-house Services units as necessary.

Support Services – The offices assist homeless families and singles in the search for permanent housing. The offices provide information about available housing resources including Section 8, municipal housing or other special needs resources.

What do I need to do to apply for help?
  1. An application for public assistance is required
  2. Eligibility is based upon case specific household circumstances
  3. Each household must cooperate in the creation of an “Independent Living Plan”. Continued eligibility for temporary housing assistance is based on the household maintaining full compliance with the terms and conditions of the plan
  4. Any income available to the household is budgeted toward the cost of the temporary housing assistance
  5. All requirements concerning documentation, substance abuse assessments, employment, child support cooperation and other specific eligibility requirements apply to individuals or families that are homeless
  6. All households receiving temporary housing assistance must document their search for permanent housing as a condition for receiving such assistance