Diabetes Self-Management Program Workshop
You Can Manage
Diabetes Self-Management Program Workshops Help You:
Feel better – Increase your energy and get relief from pain, fatigue, and difficult emotions.
Take control of your life – Helps you do the things you want to do each day.
Get connected – Learn from others who have similar health issues.
The Diabetes Self-Management Program (DSMP) is a 6-session health education program for people dealing with diabetes. The workshop complements the health care participants may already be receiving. The purpose of the Diabetes Self-Management Program is to enhance one’s skills and ability to manage their health and maintain an active and fulfilling lifestyle.
In addition, participants learn or enhance their problem-solving and decision-making skills to enable them to confront the ever-changing challenges of living with diabetes. The course is facilitated by two trained Niagara County Department of Health nurses. Participants are invited to bring a family member, friend, and/or caretaker. Program content includes:
- Decision making and problem solving skills
- Developing and maintaining a safe, long-term physical activity program
- Preventing complications
- Dealing with difficult emotions, such as anger or depression
- Communicating effectively with family, friends and health professionals
- Using prescribed medication appropriately
- Healthy eating
- Monitoring signs and symptoms
- Skin and foot care
- Planning for future health care
RESULTS: Program participants demonstrated improved health status and health behavior. They stated they had greater confidence in their ability to manage their diabetes effectively and four months after completion of the workshop, noted fewer emergency room visits. One year after completion of the workshop, their improvements were maintained and remained significantly different from baseline condition.
- Better communication with physicians
- Better coping strategies and symptom management
- Increased physical activity
- Reduced health distress
Click this link for materials to assist you with Facing Diabetes Lifestyle Changes.
For more information or to register for a workshop, call us at: