The Niagara County Office for the Aging operates the Eat Well...Stay Well Dining Program which serves approximately 20,000 meals a month to older people in the County. The Eat Well...Stay Well Dining Program provides a daily nutritionally balanced hot meal to older adults, particularly those with low incomes. Besides promoting improved health and nutrition, the program is designed to promote opportunities for older adults to socialize with others and to improve access to a variety of social and health services.
Meals are provided at many convenient sites all over the County, with transportation available to some sites. See the list in this brochure for the site nearest you. There are special educational programs and a variety of activities offered on a regular basis at each site.
All meals served provide at least one-third of the current daily recommended allowances as established by the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Science, National Research Council.
Home Delivered Meals service is also available. It can deliver hot meals and cold meals to participants’ homes, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., 52 weeks a year. Hot meals include meat, chicken, or fish, vegetables, and/or salad, bread, dessert and a carton of milk. Cold meals include a sandwich or salad , dessert or fruit and a carton of milk. Frozen weekend meals, which are the same as hot meals, are delivered on Fridays. Some special diets are accommodated. Meals can be delivered as few or as many days as needed. There is no delivery on holidays.
Here are some of the improvements:
- Soft tub margarine is served (no trans-fats)
- Vegetables are cooked and served with no salt added
- There are more chef salads, spinach salads and healthier dressings
- Cold plates with lighter meals are on the menu
- Soups are homemade and no salt is added
- Fresh or canned fruit is served almost every day
- We use fortified and enriched foods when possible
- A diabetic (low or no sugar) dessert is available if desired
And as has always been true:
- Desserts are homemade at our kitchen
- Meals provide one-third of the Dietary Reference Intakes through the Food & Nutrition Board, National Academy of Science
- Menus are analyzed for nutrient content by our Registered Certified Dietitian.
Call (716) 438-4030 for more information